Now loading.
Please wait.


Affidavit For Change of Name

Changing original birth name is very common and a wide glimpse in India. Whatever the reason be, the procedure under the law is the same. The only probable condition for eligibility to change name is that the applicant must be 18 years and above to change their own name.

When To Use Affidavit For Change Of Name?

Reasons for changing name can be many such as personal preference, marriage (women), change of religion, modification or alteration of name due to numerological advice etc. Change of name can also mean addition of a word to the existing name, modification of spelling, change of surname etc. Before you conclude on getting a name change, weigh all pros and cons of doing so.

This affidavit should be used if you are changing your original name to a new name and have discarded the old name. If you need to make an affidavit to state that you have used variations of the same name, or known by two names, please use One and the Same Name Affidavit.

How To Create An Affidavit For Change of Name?

The name change is more or less a three step process that can be finished in little time if followed judiciously. The primary and most important step in the process is the preparation of the affidavit.

Firstly, you need to make an affidavit and swear before a Notary or a Magistrate. Use the simple navigation form and complete the affidavit in less than two minutes on our website. All you have to do is fill in your details like previous/maiden name, reason for change of name, address, age, etc.

You will need to print this on a non-judicial stamp paper of stipulated value.

How To Make It Legally Enforceable And Valid?

Since it may be difficult to get an appointment from a magistrate, you can approach a Notary signature, which is equally valid.

Print the content on a stamp paper of the required value (the Notary will advise you) and get it sealed by a Notary.

Central Govt. employees can submit deed for change of name in accordance with the Ministry of Home Affairs OM No. 190016/1/87-Estt, dated 12.03.1987 (Deed should be typed on plain paper signed by two witness of the rank of Gazetted officer of the same Department with Rubber stamp ).

In case of Indian living abroad he/she shall submit deed duly attested by the respective Indian Embassy / Indian High Commission.

This is the most crucial phase in the process of changing name. Once the affidavit has been notarized, your job is nearly done.

Publication in Newspapers

After the affidavit is notarized, the next step requires you to immediately publish the change of name in two local newspapers.

  • One classified should be in a daily publishing news in local official language of the State.
  • The second classified should be published in a local English Newspaper.

You can contact the newspaper office directly in this regard. They generally have an exclusive section dedicated to name change advertisements and can advise you on the format.

Eg: I, Suresh Kumar, S/O Ganesh Bhat born 15/08/1987, residing at 468, C.M.H Road, Indiranagar, Bengaluru – 560 038, have changed name as Suresh Kumar Bhat vide affidavit dated 11/12/2014 before Notary Manjula Gurumurthy.

Tip: Since most of the newspaper houses have multi lingual publications in the same State, ask for a package (for classifieds in English & State language) that will help you save money and time.

Publication In The State Gazette

In some States you can get the name change published in the official State gazette.This is not a statutory requirement in some States. For example, In Karnataka, the gazette publication for name change is only applicable to State govt. employees.

You can approach the controller of publication, Govt. press in your State and get details on the procedure. You may be required to produce some vital documents along with the original affidavit to have your the details published in the next gazette issue. Central govt. employees can get in touch with their departmental HR contact for further guidance.

  • Speak to them on the phone line to ascertain the documents required. You can also consider visiting them.
  • Generally, you will need to provide a copy of the affidavit, copies of newspaper classifieds published, address and id proofs, passport photographs & the applicable fee.
  • As per the timelines, you will be notified about the name change publication in the gazette along with a copy of the gazette for reference.

Gazette Publication is mandatory for government employees and optional for others. However, if you need to update your records in banks, brokerages and govt records, they might ask you for a copy of Gazette.


Apply for name change with various banking institutions, govt. agencies (like voters id, PAN card, passport) for change of name. You may be required to fill a separate dedicated form  along with producing the affidavit, newspaper copies supporting name change. The sooner you update your name with these sources, its better for your future.

    Mahavir Kumar says: posted on 07 Feb, 2018

    I have 2 names, one as “MAHAVIR KUMAR” in all the government proofs and one as “MAHAVEER D JAIN” in educational certificates alone.
    As per numerology my name must be as “MAHAVEER D”.
    So while changing my name in passport from Mahavir Kumar to Mahaveer D be possible without changing the educational certificates?

    Plz help

    amit says: posted on 20 Jan, 2018

    I want to change my 2 year old daughters name in her birth certificate.what is the procedure for this.?

    Anonymous says: posted on 15 Jan, 2018

    Hi I’m a doctor ,
    After a name change ,How about our educational documents and MCI certificate
    Should I Change my all of that?

    Poornima says: posted on 29 Jul, 2017

    Hi, to change your name legally and get it notified in Central Gazette, you have to follow this process-
    1. You need to create an Affidavit on stamp paper
    2. Place an ad in a Newspaper
    3. Get a DD for the fees required for Gazette publication
    4. Submit the above three along with other requisite documents to the Gazette dept.
    We would be glad to help you with every step involved in the process. To avail our name change package, click and submit your details.
    For more information, please send an email to along with your contact details or call us on 080-46682600 (Mon-Fri 10 am to 6 pm).

    Anonymous says: posted on 27 Jul, 2017

    I want to change my name, what is the procedure for this

    Poornima says: posted on 26 Jul, 2017

    Hi Ratheesh, he will now have to change back to Hindu name in the same way as done earlier. To avail our help, please email to

    Poornima says: posted on 24 Jul, 2017

    Hi Manika, please select your State and click the ‘CREATE DOCUMENT’ button above. You will be asked to log in and once logged in, you can submit the details in the form you will be redirected to. Then make the payment for either soft copy alone or for hard copy on Stamp Paper (door delivery).

    Manika Tiwari says: posted on 23 Jul, 2017

    I need to get an affidavit of name change for gas connection formality. Already my passport, aadhar card,
    Bank account and pan card has got my new name after marriage. Kindly suggest the steps involved.

    Poornima says: posted on 12 Jul, 2017

    You haven’t mentioned the location. If you are in Bangalore, please visit the nearest BBMP office to change the name on birth certificate.

    George simon says: posted on 11 Jul, 2017

    I want to change my daughters name in her birth certificate.what is the procedure for this.?

    Nitin Kumar says: posted on 10 Jul, 2017

    Hi, My mother has 2 names, Her genuine name is “A” which is in some banks and few native properties(agriculture), Her other name is “B” which is also used in 1 property(other city) and in my documents(high school certificates) and aadhar card. “A” and “B” are completely different. Please suggest which name to continue and what should be the procedure. Thanks in advance.

    Ratheesh S says: posted on 05 Jul, 2017

    Hi I need some clarifications, Need to change Religion and Name for my Friend. Due to some personal reason he converted to Muslim from Hindu. Now he need to convert back to Hindu. Whom to approach and where to approach?

    Please guide US.

    Prasad says: posted on 27 Jun, 2017

    I need to change my surname as I’m married.what I should do

    Ritu Pramanik says: posted on 13 Jun, 2017

    An Affidavit for name change
    is very useful..
    Thanks for guarding…

    Manikandan says: posted on 03 Jun, 2017

    I’m working in Saudi .I want to change my name before my marriage so what I need to do…

    LegalDesk Team says: posted on 10 May, 2017

    We can help you with notifying your son’s name change in the Central Gazette. But before that you might have to approach the Indian Embassy for formalities with regard to name change in birth certificate and passport. Meanwhile you can submit your details here-

    LegalDesk Team says: posted on 10 May, 2017

    Hi Jagriti, thank you for reaching out to us and sorry for the delayed response. You might have tried calling us during weekends when our office remains closed. We can definitely help you in this regard. Please fill out your details and submit – . Once you register on our website, you can communicate with our executives internally through dashboard. Or you can even call us on the contact number given on our website.

    Jagriti Sharma says: posted on 05 May, 2017

    Hi I need to get my name changed.Have changed my name(basically the spellings) as per a numerologist .I have been trying to contact you guys.And have been waiting for your response since last one month.But no one contacted me.

    Please contact me .I need your assistance in getting my stuff done for name change.

    Kavitha Mooli says: posted on 17 Mar, 2017

    hello, i have understood all about your package and instructions. my query is:
    My son of 4 year old minor(current age) born in Muscat, Oman. His birth certificate is issued in Muscat. Now we are living in india permanently. I wanted to change his first and middle name in his birth certificate. can you please tell me the procedure for name change of minor in birth certificate who born in abroad and living in India and citizen of India. could you please discuss package too.

    Changing Your Name in India - Three Steps Process says: posted on 05 Dec, 2015

    […] an Affidavit for name change. You can use our drafts available online- name change affidavit online, change name after marriage or Annexure D affidavit if you need name change after marriage while […]

    Changing Your Name in India - A 3 Steps Process says: posted on 16 Sep, 2015

    […] an Affidavit for name change. You can use our drafts to to make name change affidavit online, change name after marriage, or Annexure D affidavit if you need name change after marriage while […]

post comment