A birth certificate is one of the first and perhaps the most important document that a person gets during his/her lifetime. It states the date, time, gender and place of birth of an individual.
Need for Birth Certificate
In India, according to the Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969, it is mandatory to register the birth of a child within 21 days from the birth. It is important as it helps us obtain other documents like passport, visa, etc on the basis of it.
What details does a Birth Certificate include?
The provisional birth certificate contains the following information-
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Date of registration
- Registration no
- Name of mother
- Name of father
- Present address
- Permanent address
How to get a Birth Certificate in Delhi?
The procedure to obtain a birth certificate in Delhi is as follows-
- The date and time of a child’s birth is first recorded in the hospital where the child is born. Usually, the hospital staff requests the parents or guardians of the child to fill out a form which records details including name, address, permanent address, occupation, educational qualification, etc.
- The hospital files the above mentioned information with the respective Municipal Authority, which the hospital belongs to.
- Once the computer records are updated, parents are provided with a reference number and an acknowledgement receipt, which can be used for further communication.
- The parents will have to approach the respective Municipal Authority and show the receipt to the concerned person. A provisional birth certificate having the details of the child will be issued. The ‘name of the child’ field is left blank and is to be filled by us.
- A photocopy of the provisional birth certificate with the name filled in along with an ID proof of either parent, should be submitted to the Municipal Authority.
- In case if the parents do not belong to Delhi, then a copy of an ID proof, obtained at their native place, should be submitted along with the provisional certificate.
- Within a fortnight after submitting the necessary documents, the birth certificate shall be issued. One can get multiple original photocopies of the birth certificate by paying an additional fee of Re. 1/- per copy.
You can create other important legal documents online which are very user-friendly and hassle free, using our pre-drafted ready to use forms.