A domicile certificate is an important document to establish that one has been a resident of a particular state and can avail benefits stipulated by educational institutions or government jobs by virtue of being such a resident.
Need For Domicile Certificate
A domicile certificate is an important document as it establishes residentiality of an individual. The certificate also plays an important role when resident based reservations are made in educational institutes or government jobs, etc. The government may also introduce certain benefits which can be availed only by the domicile of a particular state.
In the case of married women, there is an exception. A woman, who do not originally belong to a particular state but move to another state by the virtue of her marriage, can get a domicile certificate in the latter state, if her husband has been a resident of that particular state.
An individual can be the domicile of only one State as per law and misrepresentation or concealment of the same is an offence.
Criteria To Get A Domicile Certificate
In order to obtain a Domicile Certificate in Delhi, an individual has to fulfill the following criteria:
- Has been a resident of Delhi for the past 3 years
- Owns a house/property/land in Delhi
- Name should be included in the voter list
- Owns a ration card in the city
In case of a minor, the minor can use the domicile certificate of his/her parents, provided the name of the minor has been included in the ration card of the family.
Documents Required To Apply For Domicile Certificate
- ID Proof which may include Aadhar card, Voter ID card, PAN, passport etc. In the case of a minor, a letter from the School Principal on the school’s letterhead shall be valid. For minors below the age of 5, their birth certificate shall be sufficient.
- Proof for present residential address which may include Voter ID, electricity bill, water bill, telephone bill, etc.
- Proof of date of birth which may include school leaving certificate, voter ID, passport etc.
- Proof of continuous stay for 3 years which may include receipt of house tax or water bill, education certificate, etc. Different documents may be shown for different years. However only educational certificate to show continuous stay for 3 years will not be considered sufficient and additional documents shall have to be provided. An attestation by a Gazetted officer certifying continuous stay for 3 years is also a sufficient proof.
- Affidavit as prescribed in Annexure-I of the domicile certificate form. Should be notarised and on a INR 10 non judicial e-stamp paper.
- One passport size color photograph on a white background with the face fully visible.
Where can a Domicile Certificate be Obtained?
The domicile certificate in Delhi is granted by the Department of Revenue, Government of NCT.
No fees is required to obtain a domicile certificate.
The prescribed time limit to obtain a domicile certificate is 21 days. However, in case of online application, one may track their application status online.
Procedure To Obtain A Domicile Certificate
One can apply for a domicile certificate either by going to the concerned SDM office or by submitting an online application. To apply online one has to register themselves on the site by creating a valid username and password.
All the documents that have to be submitted as proof to obtain a domicile certificate have to be attested by Gazetted officer and a copy of the ID’s have to be submitted along with the application for obtaining domicile certificate. In case one is filing the form online, a copy of the ID’s has to be uploaded along with the application form.
The application form to obtain a domicile certificate has to be duly attested by a Gazetted officer of the Central/State Government. A copy of the ID card of such Gazetted officer is to submitted along with the application form.
The original affidavit shall be submitted along with the application and in case of the online method, the affidavit shall be uploaded on the site.
A passport size colour photograph has to be pasted on the form and if you are applying online, such photograph should be uploaded along with the application form. At the time of physical submission of application form, a photograph of the individual applying is clicked via a webcam.
Scrutiny of documents is done at the time of submission of application form. Physical verification may be done even in the case of online applications. After submission and scrutiny, an application number is given to the applicant for future reference.