Now loading.
Please wait.


Name Correction Affidavit

Name Correction Affidavit, as the name suggests, is a document sworn by a person affirming his or her real name as against the wrong spellings or versions of the same name printed erroneously in any document. Such an affidavit may be sworn before either a Notary Public or a Magistrate.

A name correction affidavit is the best way to separate the grain from the chaff and to disown the incorrect versions of a name that might have crept in any document by error. It is important to have this affidavit created in case your name has been printed wrongly in any document because it may become difficult to prove that it is the same person being referred to, owing to the different spelling of the name. Any potential employment or educational opportunity may be at risk, if the qualifying documents carry different names/spellings because of the cautious nature adopted by the authorities to prevent impersonation.

Who Can Create A Name Correction Affidavit?

A Name Correction Affidavit may be created by any person whose certificates or documents have been printed with the wrong spelling or version of his/her name. A name correction affidavit is similar to a ‘One and the same person’ affidavit in many respects, chiefly because both affidavits are created when there are different versions of the name printed in different certificates. However, the difference kicks in when it comes to the validity of different versions of the name. For instance, a name with three words may be expanded fully in one document while one or two of the words may be abbreviated in another document. Observe the following. Sharath S Kumar, Sharath Shantha Kumar and Sharath S K may be declared to be one and the same person using the ‘One and the same person’ affidavit. What is to be observed is that in this case, all three versions of the name are correct since they only differ in expansion.

However, if Sharath S Kumar’s name is printed as ‘Sharath S Kumer’ in his certificate, it is more appropriate to choose a ‘name correction affidavit’ instead of ‘One and the same person’ affidavit– though the purpose may be achieved using any of the affidavits. It is to be noted here that in a name correction affidavit, the name may be printed wrongly. Both versions may not be correct unlike in the first example.

How to Create A Name Correction Affidavit?

A Name Correction Affidavit may be created by declaring the real name of the person as recorded in his/her documents along with the incorrect name and the document in which it has been printed wrongly.

What To Include In A Name Correction Affidavit?

A name correction affidavit includes identifying details like Name, date of birth, father’s/husband’s name and address. It contains the correct and incorrect spellings/versions of the name and the  documents in which the correct and incorrect versions of the name is mentioned. All the details are solemnly affirmed and declared, and sworn that there has been no misrepresentation or fraud in making of the affidavit.

How To Make It Legally Valid?

The affidavit needs to be printed on a Stamp paper of requisite value according to the respective state’s Stamp Act. It is signed by the deponent and then attested by either a Notary Public or a Magistrate.

Amending V/s Declaring

When a name correction is notified in the Central Gazette, it will be mentioned that the person’s name has been mentioned wrongly in a particular document and it may be amended accordingly. The correct spelling of the name is also mentioned; while in a ‘one and the same person’ affidavit is notified, it is declared that both names are of the same person. In this case, there is no mention of the correct spelling of the name.

Newspaper Notification

The next step after creating an affidavit is the publication of newspaper notification. The purpose is to ensure transparency and to prevent fraudulent name changes, for instance, in order to avoid payments to banks etc. can assist you in every step of your name correction. We can help you get your name correction notified right in your city. It is always safe to notify in one national and one local newspaper as stipulated by the passport authorities.

Is Gazette Notification Required?

Once the affidavit and newspaper ad is in place, it can be considered whether to go for gazette notification or not. It depends upon the individual requirement. While most authorities accept affidavits and newspaper copies for name correction, some insist on gazette notification. UPSC and most banks insist on gazette notification in order to amend their records. Legaldesk’s name change package will help you in changing/correcting your name which also includes gazette notification.

Why Wait To Correct Your Name?

Do not hesitate to take action if there is any error in your name printed in any document. It has been rightly said that a stitch in time saves nine. So, get an affidavit and newspaper notification if you have not done anything about the misprinted name. If you already have them, proceed with gazette notification, since it would be impossible to predict when the need for the same would arise. Please click on the button below to get your name correction affidavit drafted by us.

    Ashis Roy says: posted on 28 Feb, 2018

    Hi Mahesh,
    Please do get in touch with us and our team of advocates will help you go about the issue.

    Anonymous says: posted on 27 Feb, 2018

    Sir this is mahesh in my certificates surname is mistake but in my identity proofs are correct so which one I can change?

    Neeraj kumar says: posted on 27 Feb, 2018

    Hello sir in my 10th certificate and markssheet my name is Neeraj Kumar but in my intermediate certificate my name is printed Neeraj Kumar maurya . I am selected for postel assistant only appointment procress remain I want to know that will this discrepancy create any problem if yes What is the solution.????

    Ashis Roy says: posted on 26 Feb, 2018

    Hi Prakash,
    Thank you for getting in touch with We provide Affidavit for name change.
    Contact: / 080-46682600 for further help.

    Fazeela says: posted on 21 Feb, 2018

    My father’s name and surname have no space in 10th std certificates but in 12th std certificates it has space.Will it create any problem??

    Meghna Karkera says: posted on 20 Feb, 2018

    In all the documents like aadhar card, pan card, passbook my name is printed as MEGHNA UMESH POOJARI. But in school and college my name is printed as MEGHNA UMESH KARKERA. My mba cet exam is coming on 10th march 2018, i have filled the form by my college name but now i have to bring my identity card on examination venue, i have made an affidavit, is that enough to prove my indentity or i have to show something else??

    subhash tomar says: posted on 19 Feb, 2018

    sir my mothers name has been changed in Pension book of my father . after fathers death we want to transfer father pension on mothers name but there is a spelling mistake in pension book which we got to know after father death .so sir we are getting problem in pension transfer due to spelling mistake in mothers name . kindly advise the procedure the correct the name and transfer the pension.

    Rajesh Singh says: posted on 18 Feb, 2018

    Hi Sir/Ma’am,

    I want a help as I am in trouble and unable to figure out what to do? The problem is that, the surname on my passport is incorrect for me including parents. And on my mother part her name too incorrect. The name mention in passport is given below:
    But the correct name should be as given below:-
    Request you to please help.

    Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh Singh

    sriyanka patra says: posted on 12 Feb, 2018

    in my 10th and 12th certificate my father short name is there M D PATRA, but in my pancard and adhaar card his fullname mural idhara patra is there, i have cleared my bank exam and document verification is left what should i do sir

    Gaurav says: posted on 18 Jan, 2018

    Sir in my all document and certificate my father’s name printed as MUKESH CHAND GUPTA while his name is mukesh gupta in all his document i selected in govt job if it creat any problm when i use my father document? Please suggest me any solution

    Deepak Nagare says: posted on 17 Jan, 2018

    I have one small spelling mistake on my caste certificate and caste validity certificate I am from nanded Maharashtra so I want to correct it what is the procedure to it, my name is Deepak which is correct as per the I’d proof and as per my degree certificate, but my mistake there is a minor spelling mistake done on my caste certificate as Dipak, moreover am preparing for government exams like banking and SSC so will it be any problem in future regarding the small mistake done on my caste certificate, please tell me what I have to do in this case…

    Chander Kishore Chopra says: posted on 12 Jan, 2018

    My name in flat registery is CHANDRA KISHORE CHOPRA because at that time my name in pan card was CHANDRA KISHORE CHOPRA,but now I have changed it to CHANDER KISHORE CHOPRA because this is the name in Aadhar card and both are linked.Please advise what to do,so that my wife doesn’t suffer after my death for transfer of registry in her name.

    Shubham says: posted on 07 Jan, 2018

    My name is correct everywhere. SHUBHAM. The problem is that I don’t have any surname in my 10,12th or any other documents. My father’s name is Saroj Kumar Gop. Now, I’m applying for Passport and I want to include GOP in my Passport as surname.
    Will it create a problem if I have GOP in my passport but not on my 10,12th certificates?

    Ashis Roy says: posted on 05 Oct, 2017

    Hi Nupur,
    You can submit an affidavit on behalf of your father. Kindly get in in touch with us and we will guide you through the procedures.

    Ashis Roy says: posted on 05 Oct, 2017

    Hi Siyaram,
    You will have to create a ‘One and the same person affidavit’ for the purpose of you query. Kindly visit our website

    SIYARAM SAH says: posted on 05 Oct, 2017

    My name is SIYARAM SAH, but in my 10th certificate my name is written as SIYA RAM SAH, rest other certificates has SIYARAM SAH upto graduation,what declaration should i make to prove both name are same, will i face problem while applying for govt jobs?

    Nupur Jain says: posted on 04 Oct, 2017

    I am 16 years old. My father’s name has wrongly been included in my tenth grade ICSE Board Examination marksheet, and it is Nupur Punit Jain instead of Nupur Jain. Am I allowed to submit an affidavit or does my father have to do it?

    Poornima says: posted on 20 Jul, 2017

    Carlton, you may not need gazette if you have your correct name in the necessary documents like Aadhaar, PAN, etc. You can contact a nearest Passport Seva Kendra to confirm.

    Poornima says: posted on 20 Jul, 2017

    You will have to submit some Annexure for the same and also provide supporting documents wherein the correct names are mentioned. Kindly check with your nearest PSK and get exact details.

    Poornima says: posted on 20 Jul, 2017

    Deepshikha, you can make a name correction affidavit from the State of residence i.e, West Bengal and yes, it will be valid.

    Poornima says: posted on 20 Jul, 2017

    Please note that a one and the same person affidavit can be made to resolve this issue. Follow the link to avail our services for the same.

    Rajiv Kant Sharan says: posted on 17 Jul, 2017

    In my passport in spouse column my wife’s name is written only Sharan which her surname instead of Lata Sharan please suggest how to get it corrected. Her Aadhar card and other documents have her name correctly. In my wife’s passport my name in spouse Cole us written as Rajiv Kanta Sharan insyead of Rajiv Kant Sharan

    Mahendra Bhandari says: posted on 15 Jul, 2017

    I am Mahendra Bhandari( a student) and had a mistake in my fathers name in my class 10 cbse board marksheet .Please help me how to correct it

    carlton says: posted on 15 Jul, 2017

    My name has a differance in the 10th marks card as well as in a few other documents but i legally got it corrected by way of notary and news papers
    Now to apply for a fresh passport do i need to get the documents gazetted would like your valuable comment on this matter. thanks

    Anshuman says: posted on 14 Jul, 2017

    Dear sir, My name is Anshuman and it doesn’t have any Surname, so my govt id cards also have name Anshuman. I booked a flight ticket and in Surname column I put NA, which mesns not applicable. Now my concerns are would I be allowed to travel if I present an affidavit and valid ID card, will security guards at airport allow me to get my flight, will airline company authenticate my ticket with affidavit. I also want to , do private organization has autharity to discard affidavit.

    Mahinder says: posted on 14 Jul, 2017

    Hello sir,
    My name is Mahinder Singh Sarathi, I had applied for a govt job and now my exam is clear only document verification is left. I have my name printed on my caste certificate as Mahinder Singh and in other documents its Mahinder Singh Sarathi and in some documents Mahinder Singh Sarthi. Does it make any problem for me to get the job. If yes, please tell me the solution as I don’t want to loose this job.
    Thanx in advance.

    Poornima says: posted on 12 Jul, 2017

    Hi Shubham, you will need a name correction affidavit and newspaper publication. For passport purpose, you may need one important document (Id Proof like Aadhaar, voter ID, etc) with your correct name mentioned in it, so do you have any? Also, please check with the passport authority, whether you will need to get Gazette publication or not. To create the affidavit and newspaper ad, please check –

    shubham waghmare says: posted on 10 Jul, 2017

    i want to correct my surname printed on my 10,12,B.E certificate as Waghamare. The correct on is waghmare. I want to apply for passport with my correct surname as Waghmare.

    shubham waghmare says: posted on 10 Jul, 2017

    On my 10th,12th and B.E marksheet my surname is Waghamare but my correct name is Waghmare. On adhhar card,driving licence my correct surname is printed. How can i correct Waghamare to waghmare,before proceding for passport.

    avinash khora says: posted on 01 Jul, 2017

    sir my name is Abhishek khora and my father name is D N Meena in 10,12 but in caste certificate my father name is devnarayan meena .sir is there any problem with this,and if there is any problem what can I do for this.? kindly reply sir

    Rajiv Kant Sharan says: posted on 28 Jun, 2017

    Sir In my passport only the surname of my wife i.eSharan (also my Surname) is written her full name is Lata Sharan. I am retired Army officer in Army documents like PPO (pension order) her name is written correctly. Secondly in my wife’s passport my name is written Rajiv Kanta Sharan where is my name in my passport is Rajiv Kant Sharan. Please advise.

    Gourav kasera says: posted on 24 Jun, 2017

    Sir, My name the spelling is “Gourav kasera” corret in every document, But In my 10th and 12th Certificate My name printed is “Gorav kasera” will it create any problem when applying and joining govt jobs? Please suggest what should i do

    Deepshikha says: posted on 02 Jun, 2017

    Sir, my name is Deepshikha Halder. And all my documents contain the same spelling. But in my marksheet it is wrongly printed as Deeshikha Halder. My university is a private university and situated in Rajasthan. where I am from West Bengal. In that case if I make a affidavit from West Bengal then will it be valid? Should I make a ad on newspaper also?

    K. Rajasekharreddy says: posted on 02 Jun, 2017

    Sir my name is K rajasekharreddy 10th class to inter same
    Daddy name in my 10th class is K Ramchandharreddy but in inter K Ramachandarareddy, but at home my name is K Rajashekharreddy, ‘h’ by mistake

    Shubham Mahapatra says: posted on 31 May, 2017

    Sir, My father’s name is RADHE SHYAM MAHAPATRA. the spelling is corret in every document, But In my 10th and 12th Certificate My father’s name printed is RADHE’Y SHYAM MAHAPATRA, will it create any problem when applying and joining central govt jobs? Please suggest what should i do

    Kapil says: posted on 25 May, 2017

    Sir, my surname is ‘vashishth’ in matriculation certificate, however it is ‘vashishtha’ in all other certificates. I want to keep the later name with extra ‘a’.what should i do? Change or correction of name?

    Hariharan says: posted on 17 May, 2017

    My name has a space in 10th certificate but not in other documents. Will this be an issue for applying any govt jobs?
    Since they are asking to provide the name as in X std certificate.

    In that, my name printed as “Hari haran” but in other documents (XII std, college and Birth certificate and Aadhaar card) has “Hariharan”. Need your help. Thanks in advance.

    LegalDesk Team says: posted on 04 May, 2017

    It might be a good idea for your father to create an affidavit for one and the same person –

    LegalDesk Team says: posted on 04 May, 2017

    Hi Nisha, you can get his ‘one and the same person’ notice notified in gazette to avoid any legal complications. To opt our name change package, click this link and submit your details –

    Nisha says: posted on 20 Apr, 2017

    Sir, There is a spelling mistake in my Father’s Property document. In his pan card name is Rajend’er, but in property documents it is Rajend’ar. What should be done. Need your help. Thanks

    Piyush Srivastava says: posted on 14 Apr, 2017

    sir my fathers name in my class 10 and 12 mark sheet is written as S K SRIVASTAVA and in my graduation mark sheet and degree it is mentioned as SANTOSH KUMAR SRIVASTAVA…..sir i have to apply for a job related document verification will it be a problem if yes then what is the solution for the same….

    LegalDesk Team says: posted on 12 Apr, 2017

    Rohit, you have not mentioned how you changed your name. However, you can opt for Gazette notification but it would take 2-3 months. But if you had made an affidavit in Sep 2015, it would not be valid now. You can register for our name change package. Click this link and submit your details –

    Rohit Mehra says: posted on 12 Apr, 2017

    I have changed my name from ROHIT KUMAR to ROHIT MEHRA in September 2015. Can i obtain gazettee notification for name change now . I need it urgent for my job

post comment