Now loading.
Please wait.


Blog Article

Procedure For Name Change In India

posted in Name change by

Though many people dislike their names, not everyone would opt to make changes. They just hang on to their names throughout their lives mostly because either they may not know what options are available or they think that the procedure for name change is just tedious and tiresome. In reality, name change is not that bothersome, especially when LegalDesk is around.

Name change

Broadly classified, the procedure for name change involves only three steps:

  1. Make an affidavit for change of name
  2. Place newspaper advertisement with details of change of name
  3. Submit papers to The Department of Publication

To change name by oneself, the first and foremost criteria to be met by a name change applicant is that he/she should be over 18 years age. The procedure is different for the name change of a minor.

Here’s the detailed information about what one needs to do in order to change name.

Create An Affidavit For Change Of Name

An affidavit is required explaining why the name change is opted by the person who is making the affidavit besides affirming these details-

  1. Full name of the applicant (deponent)
  2. Father’s name or husband’s name (in case of married women)
  3. Full residential address
  4. A declaration stating that the facts provided in the affidavit are true and correct

The deponent should sign the affidavit at the recommended place. It should be attested by a Judicial Magistrate or Notary or an Oaths Commissioner.

Place An Advertisement In Newspaper

The name change advertisement must be placed in one of the leading local daily newspapers with accurate details. The advertisement should include the old name as well as the new name of the applicant, applicant’s full residential address, name of witnessing/attesting authority place and date on which the affidavit was made.

If the applicant is a Government employee, he/she can submit a deed for change of name in accordance with the rules stated in the Office Memorandum No. 19016/01/87 as issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs.

If the applicant is an Indian living abroad, then he/she should submit deed duly attested by the Indian Embassy or Indian High Commission, in original to the Authority.

Newspaper Ad Formats

The format for placing a name change ad in newspaper is as below-

I, Aswak, r/o Devigudda, Haandi, Aldur(P), CHIKMAGALUR, Karnataka have changed my name as Ashfaq-ur-Rehaman sworn in front for Notary C. Srinivasa on 27/11/15.

Sample image for news paper ad 2

Furnish Documents Required For Name Change

An individual looking to change his/her name has to keep the below documents ready for the publication of change of name advertisement in the Gazette of India.

  1. An affidavit duly signed by the applicant and attested by Judicial Magistrate/Notary.
  2. Original newspaper in which name change ad is given.
  3. Prescribed proforma (should be computer typed and not handwritten) with signatures of applicant and two witnesses.
  4. A C.D. (compact disc) that contains the soft copy (typed content, not a scanned copy) of the application in MS Word format. In the place of signature of applicant, the applicant’s old name has to be given and witness details need not be included.
  5. A certificate in which the applicant declares that the contents included in both soft copy and hard copy are similar. The applicant should duly sign the certificate.
  6. Two passport size photographs, both self-attested by the applicant.
  7. A photocopy of a valid ID proof, self attested by the applicant.
  8. A request letter along with the requisite fee as per the Authority.

Apply For Change Of Name In Gazette

The documents listed above, printing charges along with a forwarding letter should be submitted to The Controller of Publications, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-110054. The papers have to be submitted either personally or shall be sent by post/courier to the Department.

Please note that the documents should not be more than a year old and also be aware of the fact that once submitted, the documents either original or photocopy, shall not be returned under any circumstances. So, it is advised that the applicants keep extra copies of every document for their personal reference. The printing charges are different for an applicant residing in India and for the one who is an Indian living abroad.

If a person belonging to one religion wishes to take a name of another religion, without changing the religion, then he/she will have to provide an affidavit declaring that he/she has not changed the religion. The affidavit should be duly signed by Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM). The printing charges of advertising in Gazette varies in such a case too.

Once the application is received, the documents will be checked by the concerned persons of the Department. And after confirming that the application is complete in all aspects, it will be sent for notification to the respective Govt. of India Press. It usually takes around one or two months for name change ad to appear in the Gazette Publication Part IV. An electronic copy shall be made available for download at the Digital Directory of The Gazette Of India. A copy of the name change notification in Gazette of India will be sent to your residential address by post, by the Authority.

Change Of Name Gazette Notification Sample

This is how your name change ad would look in the Gazette Publication of India.Gazette sample

Change Of Name With LegalDesk provides you the simplest service for change of name in India and the Gazette publication. All you need to do is just provide details including your old name, new name, permanent residential address, ID proof document, photographs, etc. We will complete the remaining tasks involved in name change procedure on your behalf which includes creating an affidavit for name change, placing newspaper advertisement and submitting papers for Gazette notification.

03 Mar, 16

about author

Related Articles



Latest Comments

There are 7 comments on "Procedure For Name Change In India".


  • ***Ashis Roy*** says: posted on 03 Oct, 2017

    Hi Manisa,
    We do not offer name change for birth and 10th Std certificates. However, there is a way of doing it by taking a court order. We do offer name change for all listed documents. Kindly get in touch with us.

  • ***manisha*** says: posted on 03 Oct, 2017

    i want to change my daughters & sons name can it possiblee to change name in all school certifocate?, birth certicate, adhar & in rashan card? in future did they got any problems like to get government jobpls tell me. daughter studying in 11th std & son in 8 th std 10 th from cbse board. i want her new name in 11th & 12 th cert. how much period it get to legaly wear a new name pls suggest me as .

  • ***p.mahaboob basha*** says: posted on 21 Jun, 2017

    i name p.mahaboob basha,i would like to change of my name in all my educational certificates,so that already i have got gezeitte form of AP,GOVT public printing press… and After that i have met the staff of SSC education DEPT,Nampally.Hyd. but they did’nt give proper information for me that ….now What can i do…..

  • ***Belim Sajid*** says: posted on 06 Apr, 2017


  • ***Divya Reddy*** says: posted on 14 Feb, 2017

    It is better to place ad in the place which is mentioned in the Passport. I suggest you to go for central government gazette notification so that it will be valid all over India.

  • ***saleem javad*** says: posted on 03 Jan, 2017

    For a minor living in abroad, we have to place ad in newspaper. My question is , do we need to place ad in the same place which is mentioned in passport or it can be any city within the state?

  • ***Simple Process For Change Of Name In Karnataka*** says: posted on 12 May, 2016

    […] Affidavit For Change Of Name […]

post comment