Now loading.
Please wait.


Blog Article

Change Of Name In Karnataka

posted in Name change by

Just like the place and society we were born into, we were never offered the chance to choose something so crucial as an identity which sticks for an entire lifetime. Parents choosing your name may still be the way of the world, but that shouldn’t stop you from choosing an identity based on your religious affiliations which could change over time. Now times are a-changin’, and so don’t let the illusion of difficulty in name change make you reconsider.

If you want to have a name change, and that you are worried over the demanding time and patience it entails, there is little cause for you to continue to do so, for it is our pleasure to serve customers in matters such as these, as LegalDesk specialises in furnishing a varied number of legal documents.

Name Change In Karnataka: Simple And Easy

Follow These Steps To Change Your Name

Name Change process may seem tedious and elaborate without the right form of guidance. And so, to assist you at every step of the way, we have come up with the Name Change Package which should help you through all the formalities involved. While name change for people working with Central Government is done by the Central Gazette in Delhi, other citizens can have their name changed from their respective State Gazette. LegalDesk offers assistance in Name Change package for both Central Gazette and state Gazettes (in this case Karnataka) too.

At present, there are no rules set by the Karnataka Government regarding the procedure for Change of Name. However, it may only be a matter of time before the changes recommended by the Law Commission Of India to Section 15A of Karnataka Birth and Death Registration Act, 1999 are implemented. Currently, due to the lack of a proper procedure, the following ad-hoc procedure is followed :

  • Create an Affidavit for Name Change

An affidavit for Name Change is merely for the purpose of stating the deponent’s wish to change his/her name. It is printed on Stamp Paper and after the payment of respective Stamp Duty, the Affidavit must be attested by First Class Judicial Magistrate/Notary Public.

  • Publish a newspaper ad

Once the attestation of the Affidavit is over, one has to post a Name Change ad in a Regional newspaper. National Newspaper is no more required.

  • Notify the Karnataka State Gazette

Notifying the Karnataka State Gazette isn’t mandatory, but it will be necessary when one has to change the name on his/her Government issued ID cards.

Affidavit For Name Change

An affidavit attracts a certain amount of Stamp Duty. Though printing the Affidavit on Stamp Paper is not mandatory, paying the Stamp Duty definitely is. An Affidavit, according to The Karnataka Stamp Act, 1957 is subject to the payment of Rs. 20 as Stamp Duty.

Depending on the reason for one to change his/her name, there are many kinds of Affidavits, some of which are mentioned below-

Affidavit For Change Of Name

  • Requires one to fill their old name, new name, reason for Change Of Name, including the records which have the old and the new name.

Affidavit for Change of Name after marriage

  • Change of Name after marriage is mostly used by women as they wish to replace their maiden name with the surname of their spouses.
  • One is required to furnish a registration copy of their marriage with a joint photograph of husband and wife.

Affidavit for Change of Name of minor

  • Minor’s name change has to be done by his/her guardian on behalf of the minor.

Affidavit for one and the person

  • This Affidavit is usually used when there is a mistake in one of the address or identity proofs. To rectify the typo in marks cards and other such documents this affidavit should be used.

Annexure E Affidavit for Passport

  • Ones who want to change their name in the passport are required to apply for the above affidavit.
  • In instances of spelling mistake in the name or surname this affidavit is used.

Affidavit for Change of Signature

  • Changing one’s signature doesn’t require anything further then notarizing the Affidavit which must include your former and new signature.

Affidavit for Change Of Name after Divorce

  • Court papers which can validate one’s divorce are to be attached along with the Affidavit.

Publishing Your Newspaper Ad

Once your Affidavit is Notarized, it is equally crucial for you to publish an ad in a regional newspaper disclosing the same to the public. It is a mandatory step in the process of Change of Name. Also, remember to cut out at least ten original copies from the newspaper for one may be required to present it when updating the Change of Name in other documents.

An example of the newspaper ad that we publish can be seen as follows,

“I, Mr/Ms/Mrs._________(old name) have changed my name from _______(old name) to ________(new name) by Affidavit sworn before the Notary Public/Advocate/Oath Administrator, ________(Notory’s name/S.E.M Advocate/Oath administrator’s name) from  ________(place) on _________(date).  From the day of this publication I shall be known as ________(new name) and my permanent residential address is, ____________(complete postal address).”

Notifying In Karnataka Gazette Regarding Your Name Change

Procure an application, normally called, ‘Deed Changing Surname Form’ from the Karnataka State Gazette Office, Government Central Press, Mysore Road, Bengaluru- 500059. Though this step is not mandatory in the process of Name Changing it is mostly recommended as one has to present the original copy of Gazette publication when one has to change the name on the identity proofs.

This can be quite a grueling task as there is very little information/rules in the State of Karnataka for the Name Change process. To make things short, your one sure shot way to successfully publishing your name in the Gazette would be through LegalDesk. Wait no more and start by drafting your name change affidavit to get started right away.

12 May, 16

about author

Related Articles



Latest Comments

There are 15 comments on "Change Of Name In Karnataka".


  • ***Sutapa*** says: posted on 16 Feb, 2018

    My permanent address is of Kolkata. But as currently I am residing in Bangalore, I want to change my surname here. But i don’t have any address proof of bangalore. Can it be possible from bangalore? And will it be valid for any property deal in kolkata?

  • ***Gowda vishal jagdish*** says: posted on 18 Jan, 2018

    Sir in my school certificate my name is master gowda vishal jagdish but in my job is gowda vishal jagdish and it will get any problems

  • ***Nikitha*** says: posted on 12 Jan, 2018

    Still am studying am Nikitha my parents are given their mother name Rajamma b I tried to change name I completed all the procedure but the university not accepting but am trying to change from my school days pls help

  • ***Ashis Roy*** says: posted on 03 Oct, 2017

    Hi Rachitha,

    We would like you to get in touch with us and help your daughter get a name change.

  • ***Rachitha G R*** says: posted on 03 Oct, 2017

    My Name is Rachitha G R I want to Change my Daughter name is Yashaswini S R
    now i Want change as Yashaswini Gowda R
    She was born on 18/02/2009 in Bangalore
    what is the document need to change pls help me

  • ***BANDANATHAM ADVAITHA*** says: posted on 04 Jul, 2017

    I Am from ANDHRA PRADESH , I got married in 2016 , i have ADHAR Card and PAN Card all proves of Identity before marriage.
    and now after marriage i want to change my surname to POPPURI ADVAITHA . What are the documents to submit even though in my Marriage certificate my name is BANDANATHAM (Surname) ,so what are the process to change my Surname. how many months it takes to solve and is there any problem if i change surname although i have already identity cards.

  • ***Dileep*** says: posted on 02 Jul, 2017

    I am 20 year’s old I have change my name Dileep H K to Dileep sagar H K please help

  • ***Poornima*** says: posted on 31 May, 2017

    Hi Priyanka, you have to visit the nearest BBMP office for name correction in birth certificate.

  • ***Priyanka Bhat*** says: posted on 30 May, 2017

    I have already filed an affidavit & done the news paper notification for my name change from A.Priyanka Bhat to Priyanka Bhat. Now I need the name to be changed in my birth certificate issued in Bangalore. Can you guide me or help me in getting it done?

  • ***Poornima*** says: posted on 19 May, 2017

    Hi… Is your son’s name mentioned in his birth certificate or is it still nameless? If so, you can get his new name updated in the birth certificate which should be enough. Have you taken any other important document in his previous name?

  • ***Nelofar Jabeen*** says: posted on 18 May, 2017

    My son is 11 months old. I am legally divorced from my husband. I want to change my son’s name. I have completed the first step. I have the affidavit request for name change. I have also submitted the same in the office in mayo hall.They informed me they cannot do a complete name change, they will only provide an endorsement.
    What is the next procedure and should I publish ad in newspaper for baby less than a year too. Btw he will be of 1 year on 14th June 2017.
    Please help.

  • ***Harish Shetty*** says: posted on 11 Apr, 2017

    This is Harish Shetty i have Affidavit for Name Change, i have Publish a newspaper ad also, How to get my Karnataka State Gazette please explain me Sir /Madam.

  • ***Shanthkumar s*** says: posted on 14 Mar, 2017

    How to change my Daughter name, She is 9 months old. The old name already registered in Birth certificate, We are locating in Mandya district, Maddur tq, Karnataka

  • ***Poornima*** says: posted on 08 Feb, 2017

    Hi Mahantesh,

    To change your son’s name in his birth certificate, you will have to visit the office in AP where you received it from. That too, if the change is minor, such as including surname or adding initials, only such corrections would be allowed on birth certificate. You may not be able to get the old name replaced with a complete new one.

    But if you want to change name, you can create an affidavit here in Karnataka and publish in two newspapers. We can help you with that. Please visit and fill in the details.

  • ***Mahantesh K*** says: posted on 07 Feb, 2017

    Thanks for the valuable information.

    I have one query here, I want to change my son’s name (4 years age). I am basically from Karnataka & permanently residing in Ballari. The birth certificate (of my son) is issued by Andhra Pradesh Govt, as he was born in AP.

    1. For changing name, can i apply it in Karnataka?
    2. Or needs to applied only in Andhra Pradesh?

    Please suggest me. Thanks in advance.

post comment